Anthony Weiner Will Reportedly Plead Guilty To Sexting A Minor
Former Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.) is expected to plead guilty on Friday to a federal obscenity charge, The New York Times first reported.
Weiner turned himself over to FBI on Friday morning, according to the publication.
The plea, which will be filed in the Southern District of New York, comes nearly six years after Weiner, once considered a rising star of the Democratic Party, resigned from Congress after tweeting lewd images. Later reports revealed he had sent sexually explicit messages to multiple women.
The Daily Mail reported in September that Weiner had exchanged pictures and sexual messages with a 15-year-old girl. Weiner’s lawyers tried to dissuade the U.S. Attorney’s office from bringing charges, according to sources that spoke to The Wall Street Journal.
Weiner’s lawyers had been negotiating with federal prosecutors to avoid child pornography charges, the New York Daily News said.
Officials began to investigate Weiner over the allegations last year, and the probe into Weiner even affected the 2016 presidential campaign. Federal agents seized Weiner’s laptop and other electronics, on which they found emails belonging to Huma Abedin, Weiner’s then-wife and a close aide to Hillary Clinton. Just days before the presidential election, then-FBI Director James Comey publicly informed Congress of the existence of the new emails pertaining to an investigation into Clinton. Clinton has said Comey’s decision is part of the reason she lost the election.
Weiner ran for mayor of New York City in 2013, but dropped out after it was revealed that he had exchanged explicit messages with more women after he resigned from Congress.
Abedin and Weiner announced they were separating in August.